Why are we here? What can PCI do best?
PCI is committed to sustainable change in the health and self-sufficiency of people living in acute poverty.
After 50 years experience working in communities living in poverty around the world, key learnings form the foundation for everything we do and for our distinct approach to international health and development programming. We know that the problems of poor health and poverty are inseparable, and that there is no simple or single solution. We know that sustainable solutions require individual and community ownership, and must address the root causes of the problems they face. We know that the job is too big for any one organization and that it takes partnerships, from the community level to business interests, through government, to succeed in the long-term. Finally, we know that the ability to measure the real results and impact of our work, not just the activities, is critical to justify investment in our programs and in our organization.
PCI’s work is distinguished by the following:
- We attack the root causes of poor health and poverty, whether cultural, environmental or socio-political.
- We listen closely to, and work with, those who are most affected, respecting and leveraging their own assets, ambitions, capabilities, successes and leadership to co-create sustainable community solutions.
- We implement, whenever possible, holistic, integrated programs that are person-centered and recognize the interrelated nature of the issues people and communities face.
- We cultivate relationships and networks that provide a strong connective role among stakeholders at the community level, a bridging role between global, regional and national interests, and a leveraging role that multiplies the impact of every dollar spent.
- We develop unique tools to measure the significant and long-term impact of our work on people’s lives.
PCI is convinced that these mutually reinforcing attributes are essential for solutions that are empowering and sustainable, and that result in better health, self-sufficiency, and true development for the millions of people we serve. They are what make PCI unique and uniquely effective.