The PCI Global Youth Leadership Program is a semester-long program focused on leadership development through education and service learning. Open to high school students from across San Diego County, this innovative program provides teens with the opportunity to develop concrete leadership skills and, if interested, apply them in the planning and execution of PCI’s annual event, the Walk for Water. The PCI Global Youth Leadership Program includes a formal curriculum to develop a leadership skill set for teen volunteers who can directly apply them at PCI’s 2015 Walk for Water and/or in their future personal and professional careers. Each student will participate in up to 75 hours of community service time and have the opportunity to be awarded a Presidential Service Award.
- Dates: September 28, October 26, December 7, January 11, March 1 (Sundays)
- Location: 5151 Murphy Canyon Rd., Suite 320, San Diego 92123
- Time: each workshop takes place from 1:30-4:00 pm
- Fee: $425 (scholarships available) – to be billed after approval of application
- September 28, 2014 – Overview: PCI and Personal Leadership Participants will learn about PCI, a global health and humanitarian organization; identify their own individual leadership style; and understand how they can effectively use their diverse strengths in working in teams and/or in planning and executing PCI’s 2014 Walk for Water.
- October 26, 2014 – Event Planning and Sponsorship Participants will learn how to fundraise and plan an event by thinking through logistics, in-kind donations, event registration, sponsorships and event marketing.
- December 7, 2014 – Branding: From the Personal to the Professional Participants will understand how branding and public relations work both on a personal and professional level by developing their own personal brand and brainstorming ways to market themselves when applying for college and in preparing for career interviews. They will also learn how to use social media effectively in this process.
- January 11, 2015 – Communications and Public Speaking Participants will learn and practice multiple facets of public speaking; and also learn about social entrepreneurship and how they can become social entrepreneurs themselves.
- March 1, 2015 – Power of One Participants will participate in a resume-writing workshop and practice interviewing. Students will also learn about the importance of body language and personal appearance.
PCI is excited to invite high school students from the San Diego community to apply to be a part of this year’s class of Global Youth Leadership Program. This is a great opportunity for students who are eager to learn about leadership and to try out their newly acquired skills at PCI’s Walk for Water. The curriculum includes leadership training, event planning, public speaking and how to write a press release, branding as well as resume writing and interviewing skills. Students are encouraged to also join PCI’s Walk for Water committee. Please find information about PCI’s Global Youth Leadership Program and an application form below. Deadline is September 30, 2013 and applications can be e-mailed or mailed to Uli Heine directly at the address below. We look forward to welcoming the class in October!