We ensure individuals, households, neighborhoods and communities are healthy and achieve sustained physical, mental and social well-being.
Over the past 25 years, remarkable progress has been made in health and nutrition outcomes for individuals, families, and communities across the globe. Maternal deaths have decreased by 43%, while the rate of child mortality fell 62% and under-five deaths by 44%. New HIV infections among children have declined by more than 70% since 2001, while AIDS-related deaths have fallen by 45% since the peak in 2005.
Despite these global health successes, tremendous work is needed to tackle persistent inequities in health outcomes caused by extreme poverty, malnutrition, lack of education, poor access to quality health services, and gender-based violence. Emerging global health challenges such as urbanization, chronic disease, new infectious disease outbreaks, and poor mental health outcomes increasingly place strain on health systems and communities.
How can you help?
Support PCI’s efforts to enhance health, end hunger and overcome hardship worldwide.
PCI’s health strategy builds on many years of comprehensive, integrated programming to address critical health challenges and their underlying causes. PCI’s strengths in social and behavior change, capacity building, community collaboration, and strengthening community health systems enable PCI to respond rapidly to address the direct and underlying determinants of good health and nutrition, and foster strong and resilient communities.
Underpinned by core principles of integration, linkages to systems and services, capacity-building, gender equity and community empowerment, PCI’s pathways to improving health, nutrition, and well-being include:
- Strengthening community health systems and service delivery for maternal, newborn and child health, HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, and nutrition;
- Strengthening capacity among individuals, families, and households to achieve good health and well-being;
- Increasing social support and improving the enabling environment for improved health and well-being among women and adolescent girls;
- Building community resiliency through integration across sectors and partnerships with local structures; and
- Contributing to thought leadership and improving the evidence base for improved health, nutrition, and well-being outcomes.
Each year in Liberia, 14% of babies are born too [...]