Gender Equality & the Empowerment of Women & Girls
PCI understands that gender equality is the key to ending global poverty.
Over the past two decades, there have been unprecedented gains in improving lives of the global poor. Yet progress has been uneven, and women and girls have been disproportionately left behind. They continue to face systemic barriers and discrimination that violate their basic human rights, inhibit their access to resources, and increase their vulnerability to gender-based violence and exploitation.
At the same time, women and girls possess innate – and frequently untapped – potential as change agents in their communities and are particularly strong drivers of positive change across all intervention areas when provided with the opportunity, capacity and recognition of their unique potential and value.
While women and girls have the inherent right to drive the decisions that affect them and their families, empowerment cannot happen in a vacuum. It requires investments in interventions that work on multiple levels to shift the gender norms, power relations, and discriminatory practices that limit opportunities for women and girls on a daily basis.
PCI understands that gender equality is key to ending global poverty, and that our mission of empowering the most vulnerable requires putting women and girls at the center of our work.
Our Commitment to Gender Equality & Empowerment
PCI’s commitment to women’s empowerment and gender equality is enshrined in our 2020 Strategic Plan. This provides us with a strong foundation from which to scale our signature approaches and to develop and test new models for improving the lives of women and girls in the communities in which we work. Our program priorities include:
- Women’s social and economic empowerment and leadership development
- Expanding life choices for adolescent girls
- Gender-responsive disaster risk reduction (DRR)
- Community-based gender-based violence (GBV) prevention
- Prevention of human trafficking
- Engaging men and boys as gender champions, supportive partners, and caregivers
- Women-centered approaches to climate smart agriculture
Putting Women & Girls at the Center of Community Development
To fulfill our promise to advance gender equality as core to our mission, PCI commits to:
- Ensuring that the voices of women and girls guide the design of our interventions.
- Promoting inclusion and dignity for all marginalized groups and women of all ages, recognizing the many forms of discrimination that women and girls face related to age, ethnicity, class, religion, sexuality, disability, and marital status.
- Working with men and boys and decision-makers at all levels to transform harmful gender norms and stop gender-based discrimination. ##Integrating evidence-based, gender-smart approaches into the sectors in which we work.
- Applying an empowerment framework to all that we do.
- Forming alliances with like-minded partners who share our values and commitment to gender equality.
- Providing staff with the training and resources needed to carry out their work through a gender lens.
- Conducting gender analyses as a foundational step for all new programs.
- Integrating GBV prevention efforts into all of our community-based work.
- Continually assessing our internal policies and procedures to ensure they promote equity and protection for all.