PCI has been working in India since 1998, focusing on low-income, vulnerable and hard-to-reach populations.
Project Concern International/India (PCI) has been working in India since 1998. Over these several decades, PCI has maintained a diversiﬁed portfolio, working in the areas of health, nutrition and community development with programs focusing on low-income, vulnerable and hard-to-reach populations in close partnership with national and state governments and civil society organizations.
PCI’s mission is to empower people to enhance health, end hunger, overcome hardship, and advance women & girls. In India, PCI’s work in close collaboration with various social actors to create an enabling environment to improve the social position of marginalized populations, especially women and girls, as well as strengthen convergent actions on the ground. Knowledge and evidence-based decision making and data driven management have been a hallmark of PCI’s programs in India.
Polio and Routine Immunization
Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)
- As an active member of the national core group that guides Jan Andolan (people’s movement), PCI deeply engages in accelerating the goals of POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission).
- PCI contributed to the drafting of the Lymphatic Filariasis Operational Guideline recently released by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- In partnership with the Outlook Group media house (an extremely credible media group having a weekly circulation of 6.75 lacs copies), PCI organised a roundtable on nutrition, supported by TATA Trusts (one of the largest nutrition donors in India).
- PCI has become the knowledge partner of a pioneering website dedicated to nutrition launched by a highly credible Indian media house ‘Outlook Group’. PCI has closely supported designing and content generation of this microsite. As a partner PCI will also be supporting Outlook Media’s amplification campaigns around the website including the Outlook SpeakOut events going forward.
- PCI was the only development partner invited by the Government of India along with donors like Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The World Bank and TATA Trusts to contribute in the designing and execution of the first ever Agriculture-Nutrition National Conference, organised by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India under its flagship program on nutrition ‘POSHAN Abhiyaan’.
- PCI leveraged the support of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India to jointly organise a national conference on ‘Complementary Feeding Programming’ along with Alive & Thrive under the ‘POSHAN Abhiyaan’ banner, the Government of India flagship program on nutrition.
- Drawing upon the global strategic alliance of PCI and ICRW, PCI India has been identified as a priority country for operationalizing the ICRW-PCI partnership through Umang Project in Godda and Jamtara districts of Jharkhand. The project focuses on leveraging existing community institutions (State Rural Livelihood Mission supported Self Help Groups/Village Organisations and Cluster Level Federations) to create an enabling environment at the household and community level for the empowerment of adolescent girls in the project areas.